Friday, September 13, 2013

Austin-San Antonio rail project may get federal funds

1. http://smmercury.com/2013/09/06/austin-san-antonio-rail-project-may-get-federal-funds/

2. Category* of Problem/Issue identified in article:  Transportation

3. Level of problem/issue: State level

4. This is a potential policy that is being considered to help a problem/issue that individuals/families face

5. Why this is important to individuals/families? According to the article, one third of Texas State students commute from Austin to San Marcos. This would not only help with transportation for these students but setting up a high-speed tram from Austin to San Antonio can boost the economy for these two cities.



6.
What are your views on the issue/policy?
I feel like this is a great opportunity to connect these two cities more than they already are. By making Texas State a stop on the way, it gives students a chance to help alleviate fuel costs for them, but also parking might not be such a nightmare on campus. The trams that are currently in place for students take way too long and are not as reliable as what is promised. It would also be beneficial for the students who put themselves through school, work and still don’t have a vehicle. Being able to get from point A to point B in a timely fashion could help alleviate work and school schedule conflicts as well.  Aside from having a stop here in San Marcos, the tram really gives a new, faster option for individuals that commute between these two cities for work and other personal travel. Interstate 35 is already a nightmare and a dangerous stretch of highway so this high-speed rail tram could help with traffic and wrecks that happen on a daily basis. I know from personal reasons, I avoid going to Austin and San Antonio because of the congestion, but if there was an alternative way to get there fast and safe I might reconsider visiting more often for leisure. This might also cut down on fuel for people since gas prices have become so incredibly high in the past several years. As long as using the tram is affordable for most people, then I don’t see why they wouldn’t put one into place.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the article, it is definitely beneficial. I commute from San Antonio, and it is a nightmare to find parking. If the rail was up and running I would definitely be on it. Honestly the commute is not the hard part for me, it has so much to do with the parking at Texas State. Arriving after 8:00 AM there is absolutely nothing left, lot are full. I have commuted for 2 years now and seeing 35 traffic has changed. There is so much traffic regardless of what time of day it is. Having the alternative of riding the rail would be so convenient and possibly help those who commute to Texas State. It is true what the article said, Texas State is growing rapidly and parking space is needed every where. Now with gas prices being so high, student are in need of various transportation. As like I said having other transportation options will help I35 so much. If the rail had various times of shuttles all day long, it can save so many people the commute of having to drive themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I would have been taking the Bobcat tram from San Antonio to Texas State if they hadn't recently ended that. That was one of the reasons I decided to transfer here, and now it's not even an option. Too bad we'll be long gone before any rail system gets built...Even then, it would be nice to have convenient transportation between San Antonio and Austin. I never go to Austin because I don't want to deal with the traffic and I'm not familiar with the streets. It's sad to say I've only been to a city that I've lived so close to my whole life only a couple of times. Hopefully this plan will prevail.

    ReplyDelete