Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Should 'under God' be removed from the pledge? Some say yes. What do you say?

Week #1 Article 1



1. Conlon, Kevin. (2013, Sep 4). ‘Under God’ under review in Massachusetts. CNN.

2. Category of problem: children

3. Level of problem: state level

4. The article concerns: Massachusetts atheist group sets out to have the words ‘under God’ removed from the pledge of allegiance in schools.

5. Why is this important to families/individuals OR how does it affect individuals/families?
       If the atheists can pull this off then there will have to be some announcement made in schools where teachers say “we don’t say this anymore children, this is how we recite the pledge of allegiance now….” That alone will lead to questions and curiosities brought up by the young not yet molded minds of the children and this is an opportunity to fill their head with what you believe and how you should treat other people’s beliefs. Parents may be forced to explain to their children that not everyone shares the same beliefs and that’s okay.


6. What are your views on the issue/policy? 
      When I think back about my young school days, I always remember reciting the pledge of allegiance every single day, whether I wanted to or not. It meant nothing to me as a child. Now I would like a do-over. I would like the opportunity to say the pledge again. I think that we should start saying it in college! I would love that opportunity so that I can remain seated and be one of the kids “ostracized” by my peers. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand and respect your personal opinions on this topic. In saying this, I do have a few differing opinions of my own. When I was in elementary school, and all throughout high school, we said the Pledge of Allegiance every morning without fail. It was said at the beginning of every sports game as well. This did not only involve religion but tradition as well. I cannot say that the removal of ‘Under God’ would not upset me, because it absolutely would. The article says that these children, that do not want to go against their beliefs, would feel ostracized for staying seated during the pledge. I do not totally agree with this statement. If you feel something strongly enough you will not care what others say. You will do what you deem right. What if the tables were turned and the majority of people in that class room stayed seated, then the opposite problem would exist. I think this brings up a very good point. That is how this society was intended to work, on the basis of majority rule. I do not believe that the Atheist society is large enough to have the bulk of the votes. In your post, you said that the pledge never meant anything to you when you were in grade school. This means, that you did not care whether or not you said the pledge at all. No one has been or will be forced to participate in this activity in our nation. I am a strong believer in doing what you think is right. If someone wants to stand up for what they believe, then they have the right to do so, even if there are what you consider negative effects to go along with your actions. The words ‘Under God’ do have a strong meaning for me and I would like to see them stay in the Pledge of Allegiance. Like I have said before, everyone has the right to their own opinions and beliefs and these are just some of mine.

    ReplyDelete